Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day Ramble and a Freebie


I guess by know, you all know that I am not very talkative or opinionated. But every once in a while, a topic will rile me up and then I have lots to say.
This Mother's Day is such a day for me, so here i go.
A few weeks ago I visited my dad for the first time since mom passed away.

Sure, I speak with him on a weekly basis, but hadn’t stopped by for a visit. We arrived at the house Dad greeted us at the door and welcomed us inside. We all sat down and chatted away like one usually does.

Kaylie and Liam were playing in the middle of the living room floor with some dominoes. While DH and Dad chatted away, I just sat there observing them all.

I kept waiting for mom to show up through the door at any moment to ask us if we wanted coffee or something to drink.

After a while Kaylie came up to me and whispered, “Mama, I want to see Abuelita’s room.” You see, mom always used to let Kaylie go up to her room to play with her dolls, her Tweety pillow, custom jewelry and perfumes.

I felt silly asking my dad for permission to enter her room, so we snuck up there to look around. Kaylie lovingly caressed the little remnants left of my mom’s things. I examined her movies and music collection.

Her scent still permeated the air. In this moment and time, she was still in the room laughing and carrying on, if only briefly and in our memories.

After 5 minutes, I turned off the lights and exited her room for the last time. On our way home, I cried my eyes out. The old house was still the same, but it wasn’t a home anymore.

I am sorry that I took my mom for granted. I thought we still had many years left to go, but I was wrong. Life is unpredictable and we don’t know when our time on this earth is up.

Today is Mother’s day, which makes me wish she were still here with us. I know that she is with us in spirit, but it is not the same.

My request for each and every one of you who still have your mother with you, is that you put any and all differences aside, if only for one day. Give her a hug and a kiss and just be happy to be alive.

As for me, it is too late to go home again. I wish I had told her how much I really did love her, but I can’t. The last time I told her so it was on her death bed. Her cheek was cold to the touch and her spirit was gone. Don’t let this happen to you.

So, go out there and greet the world with a smile, hug your mother and tell her you love her.
Happy Mother’s Day to one and All!
92

Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

K2 Designs said...

Kait what a beautiful memory you and your daughter shared today at your moms house. I too have lost my mom but it's been 12 yrs ago already. I still miss her teribbly! Today while in the shower I got to thinking about her , as I always this day. I sat there and had a good cry! It still hurts and I wonder if it will ever go away or get easier. Although mom and I weren't that close she was and always will be my mom. I was closer to my dad but for some reason it hits me harder on mothers day...not sure why...thank you again for sharing your story with us. Happy Mothers Day to you. and thank you for the goodie too!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin