Sunday, June 8, 2008

100 Degree Weather, Earth Fair, Pool Party

Overview of the Smithville Historic Park area where the Earth Day fair was held.

Liam getting a hands-on demonstration of working a loom.

Spinning yarn. I couldn't get a good shot in any direction so this is the best of the lot.

Alpaca
Blue Tongued Kink
Kestrel
American Falcon

Lionhead Rabbit
African Marsh Terrapin Turtle. This specimen is 5 years old.
Kayaking on Smithville Lake.

The water lillies are in full force at the lake, which makes it a bit hard to maneuver entrance and exiting.

Neuton battery powered lawn mower.
Liam coming down a very hot, plastic giant slide.
My prissy girl coming down the very hot slide. Notice that she didn't get rid of the hat.

Canoeing in the Rancocas Creek.

DH's cheesiest smile. The one time I ask him to smile for the camera, just to show that he does make an appearance in my kids' life once in a while, and this is what I get. Ok, after I bitched at him for doing this, he did pose for a nicer one, but he had already ruined my mood. So I show you what was really in his heart.

Homeboy eating his cherry icee.
Homegirl enjoying her mango icee.

Swimming pool beauty.
Plumbers and Mechanics of the world, let our *c-r-a-c-k-s* unite! Just look at that white pristine skin; it has never seen the light of day for any length of time. :) Well, except for the summer that I was potty training him. He would sit on the potty, magazine in hand, and just sit there and sit there and sit there. I would have to walk away or else I wouldn't get anything done. Anyway, the point is that sometimes, he would sneak out of the bathroom (without doing the "deed") and go outside stark naked. If the neighbors were out, he'd engage them in conversation. They'd be snickering because Liam just didn't have a clue that it wasn't proper to be walking outside stark n-a-k-e-d.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Oh my goodness, was it hot today! It figures that on the day we are to attend the Earth Fair it would also be one of the hottest days here...100 degrees in the shade.
Since Smithville Park is only a quick walk down the road, we walked there. Never fear, I slathered on the sunscreen, had my handy umbrellas ready AND even had frozen water to prevent dehydration.
I am so glad I got those freezer sports bottles with freezer stick that you can just leave in the freezer and use it to keep the liquids cold. You can purchase them at Walmart for USD $1.09. I even went a step further and placed the bottles with some water in the freezer to make sure that the water kept colder for a longer period of time. Did you smell that? Those were my brain cells burning up for having such a great idea. :) My idea worked too well. I forgot the little detail that when water freezes, it also grows in volume. So, I had to boil some water to quickly melt some of the excess water, to allow me to close the cap. Once I got over that little hurdle, I was fine. The water kept super cold throughout our 3 hour tour under the scorching sun.
The minute we arrived at the park, a woman approached us to take our picture. She seemed to have an umbrella fixation and was taking photos of everyone that had umbrellas. Even I am not THAT bad! :)
First up, we hit the tent that had the Alpacas. There were 2 beautiful specimens placidly laying on the ground just minding their own business, trying hard to ignore the people taking their photos. Ok, it was me! Are you happy now that you got it out of me?

Behind them and along side of them were a few ladies spinning the Alpaca wool into yarn for garments and another selling the most cutest articles of clothing. I saw a beautiful pair of newborn booties with a price tag of USD $45.00. With a price tag like that, I can only surmise that you will want your child to stay newborn for at least a year to get your monies worth out of it. No, I am not a cheapskate. Just trying to make light of the situation.
It was so interesting to watch them spinning the yarn right there in front of you. Luckily, there was a woman who encouraged the kids to try their hand at spinning...Liam went first, then Kaylie.
We then headed over to the farm animals section where we saw Lionhead Rabbits, Angora Rabbits, goats and 1 sheep. We also saw a Blue Tongued Kink.

We then made our way to the "Sustainable Living Tent" where they featured all types of susteinable living homeowner technologies, such as cleaning products, ecological safe paints, new efficient washer and dryers, a battery operated lawnmower, as well as other products. there were homeowner energy conservation tips and energy modulators that aimed at saving energy and money. There was also a fan that was quite interesting to the kids. It was electric, but it sprayed a mist as it spun around. It was so incredibly hot that the kids didn't want to leave this side of the tent to venture out, but alas, they had to.

On we went to the lake section to see the canoes on the Rancocas Creek and kayaking on Smithville Lake. The weather, while hot, was perfect for a leisure kayak ride on the lake. However, the waterlillies are abundant this time of the year, so there was a boy who went out by himself and couldn't maneuver the trek back our of the lilies. The attendant, an Aussie, quickly rescued him and sent him on his way out of the lillies onto the part of the lake that was lillies-free.
There was also a Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle and a Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle. One of the cars had solar panels installed in the back, which yields a charge of 60 miles.
The Woodford Cedar Run Wild Refuge Ctr. was there with a Kestrel and a Red Tail Hawk. The Philadelphia Zoo on Wheels exhibit was supposed to come, but canceled at the last minute because it was too hot for the animals.

The kids got a chance to ride on a huge slide, but passed on the moonwalk. Kaylie wanted to climb the rock wall, but was wearing a dress and for $5.00 I wasn't about to risk her going on up on a rope and something happening to her.

At this point, both kids were miserably hot and tired, and wanted an icee. We made our way up the path and bought cherry and mango flavored icees. We rested a bit under a semi-shaded tree and made our way back to go home. On our way out, we encountered our neighbor from down the street who told me that when I got out of the park, I should head on over to her house so the kids could play with her grandkids in the inground pool.
Oh, before I forget, remember the woman that took our picture as we entered the park because she has an umbrella fixation? As we were exiting the park, she caught us again. I guess the heat exhausting was getting to her as she obviously didn't remember that she had already taken our photo.

We got home, ate an early dinner and then went to the pool. The kids had a wonderful time cooling off and I actually had a grown up conversation with my neighbor and her daughter. We left their house, with an invitation to come back any time we want, which thrilled Liam and Kaylie beyond measure.

Here are a few pictures for your viewing pleasure. I hope you like them.

Oh, remind me to tell you one tidbit of information about Liam and a certain collection he made the other day at their house..., of which I was unaware. Shaking down the neighbors.
389

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin