Sunday, July 11, 2010

Odessa Klezmer Band


Ed Goldberg

Jay Dubin

Joel Pecchioli

John Lesniak


Joel Pecchioli

Dennis Ionata


Barbara Goldberg









John Lesniak


Barbara playing a Middle Eastern drum called a darbuqua.

Last night, Daddy and Kay went to visit grandma in Trenton, while Liam and I planned our "Mommy and Me" time.

Liam and I made plans to attend the live music performance by the Odessa Klezmer Band at the Burlington County Library. We were first introduced to them 2 summers ago and loved them. (Click here to see the June 28, 2008 concert photos.)

The presentation was schedule to start at 7:00 p.m., but we arrived at 6:15 to enable us to get good seats. While there was already a crowd forming, Liam and I were able to score front-row seats! Woohoo! I recall that last time we attended, we arrived at 7:00 p.m, but the library was jammed-packed. The only seats we found were all the way in the back and the kids couldn't see the musicians. We ended up sitting in the floor, by a tree, which was uncomfortable, but gave us a better view of the performance.

Last night's presentation was outstanding. Each and every musical piece was better than the next, and had me foot-dancing and toe-tapping. Liam enjoyed the lively, exotic sounds and was totally engrossed in the experience.

Anyone that knows Liam knows that Liam has a short attention span and can't sit still for long periods of time; but I have to tell you that he sat quietly (without squirming) for the entire performance. As a side note, I have to add that during the 2008 concert, Dennis played the flugel horn, which Liam adored. As a result, he wants to learn to play the flugel horn, trumpet and clarinet. Had it not been for this free performance at the library, I don't believe that Liam would have been introduced to this wonderful music genre. I do have recordings by the Klezmatics, the Barry Sisters and also listen to the Klezmer station on AOL, but somehow the experience is different when experienced live.

But I digress, I must say that all of the musicians are at the top of their game. They played cohesively and stayed on-cue while still allowing Ed to improvise at will. A mere look at their faces and at their body language would tell you that they totally love what they are doing and are truly happy to share their joy with the audience. The audience, in return, hung to each note and word, and gave them their undivided attention.

I especially loved the performance by the clarinet player, JAY DUBIN, who attends the Cleveland Institute of Music. (Wishing you much success, Jay!) He not only played the music, but was immersed and driven by it. Liam was mesmerized by him and asked me how come he kept "dancing" around. I told him, "that my son, is the love of music."

During intermission, I approached Dennis, and had a nice chat. We were then joined by John, and both graciously agreed to pose for several photos. Dennis even let Liam hold his trumpet! (These are the only posed photos of the bunch!)

Anyway, the 2 hour performance went by like a quick blur. We thoroughly enjoyed it and highly recommend them. I hope that they return for a concert at the library next year! I am crossing my fingers... :)

If you'd like to learn more about the Odessa Klezmer Band, or want to book them for a private performance, check them out HERE.
9273
Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Karen Bowers said...

what a great time! those pix look like they belong on the band's blog, kait! great job!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin