Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Hot, Hazy, Humid Day Fun


Monarch Butterfly

Dragonfly

Verbascum thapsus - Common Mullein, Great Mullein.
Tall plant with woolly leaves diminishing in size as they alternately rise up the sturdy stem-stalk, which is terminated by a tight cluster of showy yellow flowers.



At first I thought that the orange near the bee was pollen, but as it turned out, it was pollen that it had collected and stored.


check out the bee's legs. Both of its legs were filled with pollen, yet it continued to collect pollen.

Kaylie and Liam showing off their frogs.

Close up of Liam's frog.

Liam trying to prevent the frogs from hopping off of the table. They did not harm the frogs, which were promptly returned to the pond.

Kaylie and Liam at a table admiring their frogs. :) Can you believe that the girl actually chased and grabbed the frog?

Tiny bullfrog.

The kids were delighted that they spotted a tiny bullfrog on the road by the side of the pond. Considering that Liam did not want to come to the park, and I had to force him to come, he seemed pretty happy to chase after the tiny frog. I kid you not when I tell you that the frog was tiny - it was about 2 inches long.












What do you do with 2 kids on a hot, hazy and humid day? If you are me, take them to the park, of course!

Liam didn't really want to go to the Hainesport park this morning, but he had to go anyway. I usually bring his bike, but he didn't want to ride his bike, or scooter. Kaylie, on the other hand, decided that she wanted to ride the scooter. Kaylie rode the scooter when she got to the park, and then Liam decided that he wanted to ride the scooter. However, he didn't bring his helmet so he got stuck wearing Kay's purple helmet. :) They took turns walking and riding the scooter. After I walked around the park, the kids headed towards the playground for a bit of fun. Gosh, it was so hot and humid that after a little while, I told them we had to go home.

On our way home, we drove by Long Bridge Park and I couldn't pass by it without visiting it. I was hot as heck, but I forced myself to go for a small nature walk. I love Long Bridge because it has a trail that meanders around the lake, has a pond and there's always lots of birds and flowers. The kids like it because it has a playground and they can climb rocks.

We went for a little nature walk where we spotted lots of Cardinals, Robins, 2 types of dragonflies, bees and flowers. On our way back to the playground, I spotted a tiny frog hopping along the road, which I promptly pointed out to the kids. They rushed to see the tiny frog and made a joint effort to capture it. Liam was very gentle and managed to grab it. Kaylie spotted another tiny frog and quickly went after it and claimed it. We sat at a picnic table for a bit to admire the little bullfrogs and took a few pictures. We then went to the pond where the frogs were serenading each other and returned them to their families. :) We then proceeded to the playground where the kids climbed the rocks and swung on the swings. Despite the fact that it was really hot and humid, they managed to have fun and actually enjoyed themselves.

As for myself, I was hot and bothered, but very happy to have been there to see them having fun regardless of the the weather. That, my friend, is my reward.

Enjoy the photos! Hugs, Kait
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin