Thursday, April 30, 2009

Hello World!

I know that it seems like ages since I last shared anything that is going on in my life. I am just plugging along, trying to live each day to the best of my ability.

A quick recap

** 2 weeks ago my uncle (Geraldo/Yayo) got married. It was the first wedding that the kids attended so they had tons of fun. It was a small, intimate affair with just a handful of family and friends. My brother, Tito, attended as well, so the kids got a chance to spend time with him, too. We talked, we ate, we danced. I took lots of photos! So what else is new?! I had to use a film camera as my Powershot's flash is bad and photos taken under semi dark conditions come out blurred. In plain daylight, it works wonderfully, though. The bad thing is that I have to send out the rolls to be developed to then do the photo adjustments to have them printed out. I asked my cousins if they would email me photos they took so I could get started, so I was able to do this collage of THE KISS.

click to enlarge


Last week we visited my brother's house in Princeton. We went to a parade and also visited the gardens and museum at The University of Princeton. Saturday was very, very hot. The temperature went from 52 degrees to 90 degrees in 2 days. Nassau St. was jammed-packed with people and vendors. It was a nice walk from their house to town. I loved the mixed architecture styles and small hometown feeling. I loved walking past a small shop that had a small fruit stand in the front and an al fresco area.


The kids especially liked being able to see up close and personal an emergency vehicle with all of its equipment. There was also a firetruck that they could examine, as well as a demonstration by firemen with a smashed car where they were using the jaws of life to open the jammed doors, etc. An EMT let Kaylie and Julia handle a stetoscope so they could listen to each other's hearts and gurgling tummies! :)


We waded through the crowds and made our way to a little stand where they were handing out custom shaped balloons. Kaylie and Julia both wanted a flower. Liam, of course, didn't want to wait in line so he didn't get one.


The Music Conservatory of Princeton had a booth with musical instruments. I saw a xylophone, a triangle, brass instruments, drums and violins. Julia, Kaylie and Liam tried their hands at playing the violin.


We then made our way to the University where we were greeted by live music. There was a man singing a James Taylor song, which was lovely. As we entered the University, there was a live performance by a student singing in Turkish, his native language. Such exotic language and rythms!


There were food vendors selling original cuisine from far off lands such as Japan and China, while others tried to bring attention to philantropic causes.


We walked around the University admiring its architecture and sheer size. The gardens were gorgeous. Tulips of all shapes and sizes filled the garden. Tulips as far as the eyes could see.


On our way out, we stopped by the Princeton University Art Museum. along the front of the building, there were huge figures of headless people. We went inside (which offered a welcomed chance for air-conditioned air) stored all of our stuff in lockers and proceeded to enter the exhibition areas. Of special interest to me where the Greek and Roman antiquities, as well as the art of the Ancient Americas, Africa and Northwest Indian. It was exciting for Liam to see an actual sarcophagus from ancient Egypt. While we couldn't actually see the mummy, there was a photo next to it. We didn't stay in the museum too long as the kids had better ideas as to what they wanted to do with their time, and watching antiquities wasn't it!


After a long walk under the exhausting heat, we headed back home for nourishment. We had: shrimp with cocktail sauce, lentil soup, grilled steak, baked potatoes, corn on the cob and fresh bread, paired up with wine. It was delicious! We spent the whole afternoon and well into the night at my brother's house. Something we haven't done for 8 years - since the kids were born.

Click to enlarge.


We had a wonderful day.
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin