Thursday, March 11, 2010

The End of Innocence

My kids aren't little anymore. :(

Every day I tell Liam that when he goes to school the fairies come in and clean up his room. This is my way of telling him that when he is away, I clean up his room. Why, do you ask, I tell him that the fairies did it? Simple. I tell him this so he realizes that we don't have a maid or fairies that do our work...we all have to pick up after ourselves.

But I digress, while I was telling him that the fairies had cleaned his room, he was busy telling me that he knows that there aren't real fairies - or as he puts it - they don't exist. So I asked him, what about the tooth fairy that brings you money when you loose your teeth? He laughs and tells me that that she isn't real - it is me leaving him money. He also went on to tell me that the Easter bunny isn't real and doesn't leave chocolate eggs. Every year, I have DH take the kids out for a walk around the block, while I go out and hide the eggs. I guess I don't have to use that excuse anymore. Oh, and lastly, Santa isn't real! So I guess Santa isn't sending him video messages or bringing him presents this year. Sigh. Darn kids are just too smart nowadays. They are too busy growing up and shedding their innocence in the process. There aren't magical fairies to wonder about anymore...what can they look forward to now? Oh well, I knew it was going to happen, but still...

Last week we had parent-teacher conferences for 3 days.
-Kaylie is coming along nicely in school and enjoy it. She still needs to improve her reading skills and spelling, but she has shown improvements.
-Liam is doing extremely well academically, but his behaviour sometimes leaves a lot to be desired. He grows bored of his school work, calls out answers, and doesn't complete his work because it is "too easy." He thinks he knows everything...

Last week I took them both to a pediatric optometrist for a yearly checkup. Kaylie had been complaining that she can't see the blackboard well. Liam wasn't complainining, nor shows problems, but it doesn't hurt to make sure. Anyway, Kaylie is farsighted and will need a mild prescription. We picked out her glasses, which should be ready sometime next week. Liam appears to be a little farsighted, as well, but there's isn't a need for glasses yet.

I can tell that Spring is around the corner. The crazy weather we are having with cold and warm days is driving me crazy and am sick. I have a horrible cold and am congested. It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the itching. I think my allergy is emerging.

Oh well, I see the doctor tomorrow so at least I can look forward to getting some type of relief. In the meantime, I just can' sleep. 7647
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin