Saturday, May 21, 2011

Absence due to Illness, Part 1

Hello All,

As you have noticed, I have been absent from the digi-world for a while. It all started 3 weeks ago on Friday.

As usual, Kay wanted to eat Chinese food so I went to the store and got my standard order. Late at night (10:00 p.m.) I was getting ready to turn in for the night when my stomach started gurgling and my mouth got watery.  I quickly got up and ran to the bathroom because I felt nauseated. Sure enough, I started to vomit.

I would feel a bit better after throwing up, but the pain kept getting stronger and stronger.  At 1:00 a.m., after 3 hours of enduring the pain and vomiting, I told my DH that I wanted to go to the hospital. At first I thought that I had food poisoning but then I remember that I had had a similar incident 9 years earlier when I had a bout of kidney stones.

We woke up the kids, got them dressed and DH drove to the hospital. I told him to return home with the kids since there was no use in keeping them in the hospital, and that I would call him as soon as I able.

Hunched over I walked to the emergency room with 2 barf bags ready to go. As I was registering I had to make a mad dash to the bathroom to vomit. I then finished registering, before they move you to the triage area.  As I was answering the nurse's question, I had 2 more vomiting episodes.  The nurse gave me a pill to stop the vomiting, but what do you think happened? Yep, got another vomiting spell and threw the pill back up.

She took me to a room, made me lay down on a stretcher and placed an iv. Then game me medicine to stop the vomiting and gave me morphine to control the severe pain. The morphine gave me a head rush, I felt loopy, over heated and nauseated. Thank god that those feelings soon passed and I felt relief.  

Because it was Friday, the emergency room was packed and the hospital did not have beds available. While in a stretcher in the hallway, I had to wait for a room to open up.  I finally got in a room at about 1:00 p.m.  They placed me in a room with an elderly patient, 96-years of age, hard-of hearing and suffering from dementia.  She was very loud  and vocal. Poor thing wanted to go home and kept asking god to help her.

But I digress, the ct scan disclosed that I indeed had a kidney stone which was midway in the ureter.  Laser surgery was scheduled but the urologist couldn't grab the stone because my ureter was too narrow. Instead, he placed a stent in hopes that the stone would pass on its own; if not, then it would enlarge the ureter  so that he could go in again to grab the stone. Want to see the stent? No, well...too bad, I will show you anyway. :)  More to follow... 19641


1 comment:

Angelica said...

Oh Kait! I'm so sorry to hear about this, it sounds really painful! I can only hope that you are feeling much better now and that the stone is gone. I've been rather absent lately from the internet and haven't read this blogpost until now. Wishing you the best. Angelica.


Blog Widget by LinkWithin